The Muskrat Falls Project includes the following components:
- Muskrat Falls Generating Facility
An 824 megawatt (MW) hydroelectric generating facility consisting of two dams and a powerhouse at Muskrat Falls, ~ 30 km outside Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador.
- Labrador-Island Transmission Link (LIL) and Labrador Transmission Assets (LTA)
- LIL: An 1,100 km High Voltage direct current (HVdc) transmission line from Muskrat Falls in Labrador to Soldiers Pond on the Avalon Peninsula.
- Strait of Belle Isle Marine Cable Crossing: A 35 km subsea cable crossing from Forteau Point, Labrador across the Strait of Belle Isle to Shoal Cove, on the island.
- LTA: Two 250km High Voltage alternating current (HVac) transmission lines between Muskrat Falls and Churchill Falls.
Construction on the project began in 2013. Construction was substantially completed in 2020. First power was reached in September 2020 and first power flowed from Muskrat Falls, over the LIL to island customers in December 2020. Completion of the generation and transmission projects is expected by the end of 2021.
For more information on the Muskrat Falls Project, please visit our main project website at: muskratfalls.nalcorenergy.com